Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Mirror

You are my mirror,
my mirror staring back at me.
(Justin Timberlake, Mirrors)

I was on a trip to Florida with my family in a dark and cold New England winter. I felt incredibly excited and edited a number of my spiritual notes on the plane. I was planning to shoot a few videos in the bright Florida light for my spiritual community, and had even one Podcast lined up that I was looking forward to. Alas, the week turned out much tougher than expected. My wife, worn down by work and endless family commitments, was in a foul mood and instead of enjoying a harmonious time, we fought instead. I had to cancel all my engagements and didn’t write a single note that the entire week.


How easy would have been to say that my family is holding me back, but that wasn’t the case at all. The irritation was inside; it was subconscious. Deep down inside I knew I was in over my head. I would have been shadow boxing had I blamed this chaotic outcome on anyone else. Fact of the matter was, I wasn’t ready to do the Podcast but managed quite well a couple of months later. I am also gearing myself up these days for shooting a few videos over the summer, six months behind schedule. A twister went through our Florida apartment a few months ago, but after a couple of days everything was forgotten and forgiven and the sun was shining brighter than ever before.


Polish that mirror every day. The mirror is staring right back at you!

No comments: